Sewing Lessons in West Orange, NJ
Frequently Asked QuestionsI am a complete beginner, can I still attend class? What will students learn in these classes? How much do the sewing lessons cost?
I am a complete beginner, can I still attend class?Beginners are welcome. It's never too late to start sewing. Each pupil chooses their own project. so they never have to worry about keeping up with others. Sew at your own pace in a creative, fun, sociable atmosphere.
What will students learn in these classes?
Previous students have chosen for their first projects skirts, aprons, plastic bag holders, pillows to name but a few. For those who want to start sewing clothes, I recommend purchasing a paper pattern. I recommend that beginners start with fabric that is easy to work with, such as a non-stretchy cotton print or denim.
Skills covered in initial sewing lessons:
- You will learn how to use a sewing machine
- Set up your sewing area
- Thread the machine
- Wind the bobbin
- Straight and zig-zag stitches
- How to read and use a paper pattern of your choice
- How to use a seam ripper and tailor chalk
- Complete your first project
As you continue sewing, expect to learn the following:
- Understand terminology such as: selvage, bias, grainline, tacking, tailor-tacking etc
- Install zippers
- Buttons and button holes (including bound button holes)
- Adjusting for fit
- How to sew a perfect top stitch
- Making and sewing your own bias binding
There are two pricing options available.
Fixed Pricing Plan
Lessons cost $20 each, paid in advance at the beginning of each month.
Fees are non-refundable if lessons are missed. We try to schedule lessons for your convenience.
Flexible Pricing Plan
$24 per lesson, due at the beginning of each lesson.
For those who feel they need extra flexibility, this plan is advised.
No payment is owed for missed lessons and your spot in the class will be reserved so long as you attend a minimum of two lessons each month.